Plaque + portrait 1939
This plaque was created around 1917, to hold a portrait
of the school's founder (King Edward V1). It matched the WW1 Memorial
plaque, mounted in the Assembly Hall 1938-2003. In 1948 it was decided
to remove the portrait, and inscribe in its place the 36 names of
ex-pupils who died in WW2. Today (2015) both plaques and the
portrait are held at Retford Oaks Academy
on closure of the Grammar School in 2003.
"....in 1904 the Duke of Portland presented a handsome painting of
King Edward VI., the founder of the school. This is a replica of
the picture at Welbeck, of the school of Holbein. It represents
the young king in jewelled crimson dress, wearing the Garter on
the left leg, and is framed in black and gold.
Portrait of Edward V1