The Retfordian, Dec 1962, page 4
The sudden and unexpected death of Mr Beasley on Saturday
20th October, has shocked and saddened us all. Apart from an
injury to his foot - characteristically he treated this very lightly - he
had been very fit, in the best of spirits and playing his full part in
the life and teaching of the School.
Patrick Bernard Charles Beasley was just old enough to serve
in the First World War. With the coming of peace, he went up to
King's College, Cambridge, to read Natural Sciences: then, after
teaching in Cornwall and in Switzerland, he joined the staff of King
Edward VI Grammar School in September 1925.
For thirty-seven years he gave loyal service to the School;
never missing a day but for his one serious illness in 1958. A
delightful, dry sense of humour (better known perhaps to colleagues
and Old Retfordians than to junior members of the School!) made
it a pleasure to work with him. He had a burning sense of justice
and fair play; he was always ready to stand up for the rights of
colleagues or of pupils. Above all, we valued his immense kindliness
which showed itself fully in the welcome and encouragement he
gave to the younger Masters.
Alone of the present Common Room, Mr Beasley remembered
Mr Skrimshire as Headmaster. Residential duties with the boarders
of Merton House were an early responsibility of his; later he was for
many years Overend Housemaster. Appointed as the one Physics
Master, he became the Senior Physics Master, working in friendly
collaboration with Mr McNeil. His kindliness, and Mr Beasley's,
when they fetched Elizabeth from Yorkshire after the tragic death
of Duncan and Mary McNeil was profound.
At all times Mr Beasley took an immense interest in the welfare
and progress of individual boys. Many have cause to remember
with gratitude the special "borderline" classes in Physics which he
took for many years after school in the Certificate term. Others,
who went on to the Universities, owed much to the solid grounding
he had given them, and even more to the fact that he had taught
them how to work.
In January 1958 he was appointed by the Governors to succeed
Mr McFerran in the high responsibility and dignity of Second
Master. It was in these later years that a love of music found its
expression in his unfailing encouragement of school singing and in
his valuable advice on all electrical and acoustical equipment.
The School has sustained a great loss: his colleagues, with his
many other friends, suffer a personal sorrow. Our fullest sympathy
goes out to Jimmy, to David, and above all, to Mrs Beasley.